Below you will find a brief introduction to the institutions of New Mexico. Although this list is comprehensive, we believe there were more institutions and welcome information from the general public. We also believe that Native American Children from New Mexico were and still are being transported to Institutions in Arizona. We welcome any information regarding those facilities. We also would like to thank the other sites we have used and cited here for our research.
Built in 1855, occupied in 1861 by confederates, 1899 became tuberculosis hospital. 1953-1997 became overflow facility for Los Lunas Training school. Became women’s prison for short time after 1997
Los Lunas Hospital and Training School
Opened in 1925 Los Lunas closed in July 1997 making NM 6th in the nation to de-insitutianlaize
1935 opened Carrie Tingley Hospital in T or C moved to ABQ in 1981
was subject of Rudalfo Anaya’s novel “Tortuga”
New Mexico State Psychiatric Hospital
“Built in 1889, it was originally called the Territorial Insane Asylum and then the New Mexico Hospital for the Insane. Now, it’s called the New Mexico Behavior Health Institute.”
Villa Solano 1973-1976 closed-Was once a missile storage facility
New Mexico School for the Deaf
Opened in 1855 by Lars Larson who was eager to work with Hispanic and Native American students. 1887 NMSD was established as the state’s first public school by the New Mexico Legislature. NMSD still operates a residential program and provides community based services throughout the state.
New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Opened in 1855 still in operation with residential program in Alamogordo and a preschool located in Albuquerque.